Tuesday, 2 June 2015

Activity 2 - First Simple Table Topic

Activity

All team members should get together and record a 2 minute speech on one of these topics

1. Why did I join iJam ?
2. How did I land up in Barclays ?
3. What is my dream job ?
4. What would I do if I win 1 million dollar lottery ?
5. What would I do if I am captured by aliens ?

Related Reading

Every speech has at least three crucial parts

  1. Introduction, 
  2. Body and
  3. Ending.

This fact may seem trivial on first read. However, understanding it well,  can significantly improve speech.

Let's look at how these three crucial sections contribute to a good speech by tracing several speech attempts, with successive  speeches improving the different parts of speech.


First Attempt

"Why Did I join iJam"

I am very scared of being asked to talk on random topics, so I wanted to take the bull by the horns, and do it often. What better way to do that than actually practicing doing something I fear, and master that skill.

When Opportunity struck in the club to form a small team to learn and practice table topics rigourously, I thought, this was my chance !  


This speech, while it makes sense, is tough to read because it does not provide a smooth transition from topic given ("Why did I join iJam?") to the content (speech). It also does miserable job of catching attention and giving a conclusion. It's like a nice food in shoddy packaging.


Second Attempt

"Why Did I join iJam"

I Joined iJam to improve my table topic skills. 

I am very scared of being asked to talk on random topics, so I wanted to take the bull by the horns, and do it often. What better way to do that than actually practicing doing something I fear, and master that skill.

When Opportunity struck in the club to form a small team to learn and practice table topics rigourously, I thought, this was my chance !  

That's why I joined iJam

This speech is a slight improvement on previous one. You will however notice that it is easier to read. The introduction properly transitions you from topic to what you would talk about. The conclusion is also present, which clearly marks ending of speech and gives sense of completion to listeners.


Third Attempt

"Why Did I join iJam"

I Joined iJam to improve my table topic skills. 

I am very scared of being asked to talk on random topics, so I wanted to take the bull by the horns, and do it often. What better way to do that than actually practicing doing something I fear, and master that skill.

When Opportunity struck in the club to form a small team to learn and practice table topics rigourously, I thought, this was my chance !  

That's why I joined iJam

This speech is a slight improvement on previous one. You will however notice that it is easier to read. The introduction properly transitions you from topic to what you would talk about. The conclusion is also present, which clearly marks ending of speech and gives sense of completion to listeners.


No comments:

Post a Comment